Doug Goncz

Default Can I use my drill press as a mill?

Hey everybody, it's time for

Can I mill on my drill press? again!

The spindle bearings and supports are not really that strong in a sideways
direction so you will have to go slowly.

Actually the bearings are. It's the taper joint between spindle and chuck
that's weak, that is, it flys off. And the rigidity in almost any direction
other than vertical is appalling.

There is a possibility that the cutter could fall out of the taper.

I drilled my JT 33 for M6x1 and put a socket head cap screw inside the chuck.
It didn't fit. So I used a pan head cap screw. It holds on great.

I self-drilled it by holding the bit in a v groove in the cross vise, bolted
down to the table, and centering by eye with dye.

You can also (preferred) turn the whole thing sideways, set up blocking
precisely and take a lathe tool at center height to the face of the spindle,
carving the starting V hole by hand. I've done this on motor spindles and the
accessories run true.

To read about my senior project at ODU,
Go to Google Groups and enter
dgoncz
along with any or some of these words:
ultracapacitor electric bicycle motor generator fluorescent energy display