Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

Default Difference between a single and double circ. breaker??

"John McGaw" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote:
Hello,
In my electrical panel I have a double squeare D breaker with a black/red
wire running to a kitchen plug. When I check the voltage I get 110V at
the outlet. What is the difference between a single (slim) and a double
(wide) breakers. I thought the double ones gave 240V.

Thanks,
D.

Everything depends on what you mean by "double" breaker.

..
Good point; I've got two breakers that each have two handles but they are 15
amp 'doubles'.
For example using them each could feed two entirely separate 15 amp lighting
circuits
With plenty of spare locations in our panels I'm saving them for if/when we
need the space

Square-D makes doubles which allow two circuits to be placed in the space
normally required for one. Their old ones had handles side-by-side while
the new ones have two very slim handles stacked one over the other. In any
case if you are talking about a breaker that is more-or less 1" thick then
it is a "110" volt breaker since it taps into a single phase of the mains
circuit. These are for regular outlets and lights and such.

..
Should that not read " ......... it taps into a single LEG of the mains
circuit". It is very unusual for domestic services in North America to have
anything but 230 volts from the two ends of a single phase supply, with the
centre tap of that single phase usually being the zero voltage or 'neutral'
wire.
In Europe and elsewhere AIUI it is possible to have more than one phase
enter a house; with, for example 230 volts between them and without any zero
voltage neutral, In other words both, in that case ARE 'hot' PHASE wires.
..
The other "double" option is actually two stacked breakers designed so
that if one trips on an overload both will disconnect the power. These tap
into both .... (LEGS) ..... of the mains circuit and thus provide "220"
volt power to electric stoves, air conditioners, and other heavy
consumers. These breakers are more-or-less 2" thick.

..
Agree.

Maybe someone should mention what some here call a 'split outlet'; I.e. red
leg feeds the top half of a duplex outlet from its 120 volts and black leg
(say) feeds the bottom of the same outlet from its 120 volts; but not sure
if that's what the original poster has in their kitchen outlet? Thus the red
and black are wired from the single 230 volt breaker for safety etc.