Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default Opening up the pool and need help!

you must remove all leaves and dirt.
chlorine arrives in our tap water in buffalo ny. but you will use a
shock or heavy dose of granular or even faster liquid or even chlorine
bleach daily and run filter pump continuously and vacuum daily until
green algae water is sparkling clear. once the water is beautiful then
you can oxygen shock it to eliminate chlorine and start using your
favorite sanitizer.

Dee5 wrote:
I just bought a new house that has a large above ground oval pool in
the back. During the winter it was covered, no other winterization
techniques were applied.

I used a sharp vac to suck the excess water
off the cover but it must have had a small hole somewhere because I
noticed the water level in the pool dropping; it was leaking on to the
cover and I was sucking it out.

Well after I realized this I attempted to remove the cover but it was
so heavy from taking on water that I couldn't get it off without
dumping the excess water (and the leaves) into the pool. When I
initially removed the cover, the water wasn't that bad, slightly green
but still mostly blue. Now it is more green than blue.

I have started using the net to collect the leaves from the bottom of
the pool and am using the vacuum to remove them as well.

I bought sildate (I prefer it to chlorine) and an algaecide as well but

I don't know what to do with them. What is the step-by-step process to

getting my pool ready for swimming? Do I have to get all the leaves
from the pool before I start adding stuff to it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.