Old Nick

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:25:15 GMT, (Richard
Lewis) wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

errr. I think Ed talked of looking at _populations_ and murders. It's
people that do the murders, not states...more people more murders.

No, Ed, Carl, and Jim accused Gunner of using a lying quote and tried
to prove it by re-interpreting it however they wished. The quote was,
in fact, true

It was probably a true quote, yes. ANd the _figure_ is correct.....
....but _means_ absolutely nothing! It's not even ambiguous. It means
nothing.

As I said, States don't kill people. People do.

To illustrate with the ridiculous. You have two neighbouring states.
One has an area of one million square miles, and a population of one
person. The other is New York. It is quite possible for there to be 0
murders per hundred thousand in the lone-man state, for all of the
guy's natural life. There may also be 100,000 per 100,000 in one year
(but only if New Yorker kills him, barring suuicide G). The figures
regarding the states mean nothing.

Heck! It would make sense if you even started looking at deaths per
area! (Although even then, not much)

and it was Ed, Carl, and Jim who were "lying or fools
and probably a bit of both".

Imagine a _world_ where Nature's lights are obscured
by man's. There would be nowhere to go.
Or wait a while. Then you won't have to imagine.