Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Smelly water from indirect-fired water heater

Johnny Thunders Jr. wrote:

I have a 6 yeard old Weil-Mclain indirect-fired water heater.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice foul smelling hot water when
taking a shower. One plumber told me that the source is bacteria inside
the water tank and to clean it is a major project. (He didn't want to
do it). Is it really that complicated. I always assumed that since the
indirect heaters don't have coils, they can't get contaminated. Can
someone advise me on this?

Thanks
Johnny

Is this on a well system?

If so, iron bacteria can make foul odors, particularly
in heated water.

You'd have to open the piping *somewhere* to add
dilute bleach to the section passing thru the boiler
for the domestic hot water. You're in a better
position to detrmine where/how.

Jim