Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default removing badly mottled varnish on oak floors

wrote:
My wife and I recently bought a fixer-upper house built in 1954 and
the oak hardwood floors need some help but I'm not sure exactly what
to do.

There was wall-to-wall carpet in the living room, dining room, stairs,
hall and master bedroom which had been down for at least 30-35 years
judging by the condition of the padding under the carpet.

The finish isn't worn away, it has most of the same characteristics of
the rest of the floor but is a mottled darker shade of reddish-gold. I
suspect it's an effect of years of pressure and heat on the varnish
itself; before we took up the carpet you could see where the previous
owner had positioned and left his furniture for the past three
decades, and this mottling appears only in what would have been
high-traffic zones - around furniture, in the hallway, across the
living room to the stairs, etc. This mottling isn't on top of the
finish because it's not affected by any of the standard wood floor
cleaners.

I really don't have the time at this point to sand the finish off and
redo the floors. Is there something I can do short of sanding and
refinishing the floors?

Nothing other than putting down rugs.

--

dadiOH