Posted to alt.home.repair

Default is my refrigerator dyeing???

mm wrote:

If the problem is the thermostat, this might work. But if it is not
the thermostat, it's already not cold enough to satisfy the thermostat
so this probably won't have any effect.

not understand what could have caused this, and what should I do? Is
it on its way out?

Everyone on earth is dying, but some of us have 99 years left in us.

It's a Whirlpool, and it does appear to be quite
old. It was here when I bought the house 3 yrs ago, I have no idea how
old it is.

My Kenmore, probably by Whirlpool, is 27 years old and working fine**.

It may be working fine, but rest assured it's costing you a bundle to
operate. Depending on how much you spend, a new refrigerator would
probably pay for itself in under two years. Unless you live somewhere
that energy is free or extraordinarily cheap. I suggest you take a
look he

http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerin...n2/article.htm

I witnessed this first hand when we replaced our refrigerator in 2005.
It was original to the home which was built in 1964. It ran fine; no
problems what so ever - but it was ancient. Anyway, after it was gone,
our electric bill dropped roughly $55 per month. The new refrigerator
paid for itself in nine months.

Doug