Posted to alt.home.repair
Vttrekkie

Default Air Conditioner kicks off

I have a mid 70's built home.

I recently bought a 10,000 btu air conditioner that has a GFI plug.
When I plug in the ac unit it will run ok for a few hours. After the
intitial few hours of running, I shut it off, only to find that in the
morning the reset button on the GFI attached to the cord has clicked
off. If I reset it, it will run for a bit, then click off again.
Eventually, it will not reset. I have taken this unit back and
exchanged it for another one. Same problem. I have tried the outlet
in a different part of the room with the same results. The ac unit
requires min. 15 amp breaker, I have a 20 amp breaker for the circuit.

As a side note, sometimes the GFI units in the bathroom and kitchen
would click off also. It hasn't happened recently though.

What could be causing this? I have 5000 btu ac unit in the bedroom
with the same type of plug that does not bother.

Do I have a bad ground somewhere? I normally run a couple of fans from
this outlet w/out any problems.