Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Default Strange A/C Problem??

Les wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have thermostat with battery backup, but have not seen any low battery
messages. Furthermore I changed batteries each year June 1, so that cannot
be the problem.

Regarding the other 2 suggestions to check out, can a tech determine if they
are a problem if the compressor is currently working? If not, should I just
wait for house to heat up again, see that the air handler is working and
compressor is not working, and then wait for a service tech?

Generally if the blower in the furnace comes on when calling for
cooling, the thermostat is good. It sounds like your problem is at the
condenser unit.

I think you are going to have to diagnose the problem while it is
failing. The first thing I would do is measure the contactor coil to
see if it was being activated. If it is, then see if the 220 v A/C is
being applied to the condenser unit (Compressor and fan). If you do not
feel comfortable with electricity, get someone who does. You can get
hurt if you do not know what you are doing.