Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Rheilly Phoull

Default Adjustiing/mod'ing digital thermostat on LG window air conditioner

Dan wrote:
I just bought an LG 8000 BTU window air conditioner, model
LWHD8000RY6. The unit has a digital thermostat, which on its lowest
setting displays 60 degrees. However, it is not possible even on this
lowest
setting to get the machine to put out cold air below about 69 degrees.
Note I do not mean the machine does not have the capacity to cool the
space (a bedroom of about 175 sq') below 69 degrees, but rather, the
thermostat shuts the compressor off at 69, even when it is set at
"60". I tried moving the electronic temp sensor (thermistor?) from
the front of the evaporator to a position out in the room, thinking
this spot would be warmer & therefore the unit would run longer. This
dropped the room temp about 2 degrees further, to around 67. My
wife & I would prefer about 65, if not lower, for sleeping. Again,
this is not a case of the unit lacking the cooling capacity to reach
lower temps, the thermostat just won't turn the compressor on any
lower. So I am wondering if there is generally a way of adjusting
these digital thermostats (I had a similar issue with a unit having
an old style mechanical thermostat, the type which can be adjusted be
varying the spring tension on the thermostat, tweaking this I was
able to get the unit to attain a lower temp). Perhaps there's a
trimmer pot on this electronic thermostat which can be tweaked? As a
second option, maybe I could connect a wall mount thermostat of the
type used on a central air unit, which would be more accurate. Does
anyone know if this can be done? I'm guessing the thermostat on a
window unit directly turns the compressor on and off, and therefore
has the current switching capacity required for this, while a wall
mount type for a central unit probably signals a central control
board on the furnace/ac, which has a relay that does the actual
switching. Is this the case? I could probably set up a relay, still
we're beginning to get to the point of a lot a screwing around by
that time. Anyone have any ideas?
TIA

Dan

I'd be thinking of a pot in parallel or series with the thermistor.
Assuming you dont want to open up the controller to find adjustments.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull