Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Esmail Bonakdarian

Default Can you take a look? (help diagnose problem on TV ...) toss or repair?

Hello,

I have a 27-inch Toshiba tv (Model 27A41 -
http://www.cs.oberlin.edu/~esmail/tv.jpg) that is only 4 years old and
already failing.

I was hoping someone could give me an idea what the problem might be,
and if it's worth even bothering hauling this behemoth to be fixed. Or
alternatively, how long this tv might last in its current state.

I get different bands of colors "bowing in" from the sides, where I
seem to be loosing one of the RGB channels. There are no magnetic
sources etc nearby. Here is a pic of what the tv looks like when it
displays a blue only menus screen for my vcr.

http://www.cs.oberlin.edu/~esmail/tv_problem.jpg

In addition to the color problem, I sometimes also get some flicker
accompanied by some crackling sound as if a contact is being
connected/disconnected. Every once in a while (very rare) the tv flips
back to being normal for a few seconds, but generally the messed up
colors are permanent. The flickering/buzzing sound happens somewhat
rarely too but not as rare as getting a normal pic.

Here are two video clips showing the tv in action:

http://www.cs.oberlin.edu/~esmail/tv_problem.avi
http://www.cs.oberlin.edu/~esmail/tv_problem2.avi

Any ideas?

Thanks,