Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM

Default Sandpaper

JD,
I've tried a lot of different sandpaper and have come to the conclusion that
the Norton 3X is by far the best for non-powered sanding. The stuff cuts
faster, clogs less and lasts longer than any other paper out there. I have
25 lbs of Klingspor (bought one of those end roll boxes a few years back)
but hardly ever touch it since I've found the 3X. Now if they'd only make
it in discs (or if I could get unlazy enough to make my own).
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder what sandpaper other turners are finding "best". (Keeping in
mind that sanding on the lathe needs to be done at slower speeds so as
not to burnish the wood.)
I use Norton 3X a lot as it seems pretty versatile. (Available from
Home Depot)
Astradot from woodchuckers is the best with the rotational sander (It
has velcro backing) but it is expensive and I am not in Toronto so it
is not that convenient.
"SIASOFT" foam back pads are very durable but pricey too and I'm not
sure where to get them locally. (I got a small supply in Calgary from
Blackforest wood.)
I got some foam back sanding pads from Lee Valley but ended up sending
them all back as they just disintegrated on the lathe.
Busy Bee had some "machine sandpaper" in belts and circles a while back
as a packaged special and this was good but they do not seem to have it
anymore - I now regret not getting a lot more.