Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

Default Result - pvc windows fitted - for info

On 5 Jun 2006 05:20:22 -0700, "tonyjeffs"
wrote:

We had a relatively good company fit our house with PVC windows. So now
we match the rest of the street.

The windows themselves are reasonably well made, though each weld
represents a weakness, and despite what the rep said, I doubt they are
steel reinforced.

The measurements were poor in part. Some of the windows are 2cm too
small. This isn't obvious because the shortfall is camaflauged with a
uPVC strip.

Damaged areas of plaster inside the house are repaired by hiding with
PVC strip. I would have replastered these areas.

The house has small lead covered roofs over the two front bay windows,
separate from the main tiled roof. These are supported at the front by
the windows, and at the back by an original timber joist. They haven't
jacked one of the bay roofs up properly before removal/refitting
windows, and it has dropped a bit at the front, and is now a slightly
sloping roof.

Overview; visitors think they're nice, they look fine, won't let in the
damp, are a lot warmer, but craftsmanship is lacking on close
examination.

Tony

Lacking is not the word I'd use, I'd say unacceptable. Many window
co's dont seem to think that they should do plastering/making
good,mainly becuase they can fish out a plastic strip and a gunk gun
and blob it/cover it. This sounds like the typical rubbish job that is
done is the majority of window replacements in this country.Perhaps
you need to go here and read/post

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/