Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Default Adjustiing/mod'ing digital thermostat on LG window air conditioner

Dan wrote:

I just bought an LG 8000 BTU window air conditioner, model LWHD8000RY6.
The unit has a digital thermostat, which on its lowest setting
displays 60 degrees. However, it is not possible even on this lowest
setting to get the machine to put out cold air below about 69 degrees.
Note I do not mean the machine does not have the capacity to cool the
space (a bedroom of about 175 sq') below 69 degrees, but rather, the
thermostat shuts the compressor off at 69, even when it is set at "60".
I tried moving the electronic temp sensor (thermistor?) from the front
of the evaporator to a position out in the room, thinking this spot
would be warmer & therefore the unit would run longer. This dropped the
room temp about 2 degrees further, to around 67. My wife & I would
prefer about 65, if not lower, for sleeping. Again, this is not a case
of the unit lacking the cooling capacity to reach lower temps, the
thermostat just won't turn the compressor on any lower. So I am
wondering if there is generally a way of adjusting these digital
thermostats (I had a similar issue with a unit having an old style
mechanical thermostat, the type which can be adjusted be varying the
spring tension on the thermostat, tweaking this I was able to get the
unit to attain a lower temp). Perhaps there's a trimmer pot on this
electronic thermostat which can be tweaked? As a second option, maybe I
could connect a wall mount thermostat of the type used on a central air
unit, which would be more accurate. Does anyone know if this can be
done? I'm guessing the thermostat on a window unit directly turns the
compressor on and off, and therefore has the current switching capacity
required for this, while a wall mount type for a central unit probably
signals a central control board on the furnace/ac, which has a relay
that does the actual switching. Is this the case? I could probably set
up a relay, still we're beginning to get to the point of a lot a
screwing around by that time. Anyone have any ideas?

If I may venture a stupid question, are you sure that the thing isn't simply
defective?

TIA

Dan

--