Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Default Wood replacement window cost?

wrote:

marson wrote:
doesn't sound out of line for a custom sized window, installed. if you
want to stick with wood, your other option is to put a standard sized
window in that is a bit smaller, and fill in the siding on the outside
(sometimes it is just a matter of changing the trim size) and patching
the drywall on the inside. i think a second estimate from someone else
would be a good idea. but your price doesn't sound out of line to me.

Well, that's both good and bad to know

I think it might be just as expensive to fill in our walls, which are
plaster (not drywall) with custom moldings. Plus, then we'd have
different trim - one of the good things about these pocket windows is
we'd still have trim that matched between the new and old windows
(since we can't afford to have all of them done, we're just
concentrating on the really bad ones).

One other option that I hadn't really considered before is having our
old windows repaired. I had always thought this would not be worth it
- I assumed you'd probably pay just as much as a new window and you'd
still be stuck with single-thick, uninsulated glass. But at $890 per
window... I mean does anyone actually do wood window repair anymore,
and if so, what could I reasonably expect to pay for that? I imagine
with repair, it doesn't matter if I've got standard sized windows or
not. The repairs we'd need seem to mainly just be stripping the paint
and putty and resealing everything; the wood itself seems in decent
enough condition. The windows themselves are just falling apart from
neglect.

If the wood is not rotted you can probably do the repairs yourself. It's
really not all that difficult. While not necessary, a Fein Multimaster
http://www.feinus.com/p/multimaster/index.html will streamline the
process considerably.

--
--John