Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Harbor Freight DMM

wrote in
ups.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:
I bought one of those 2.99 HF digital multimeters(item 90899) that were
offered during their sidewalk sale,and the meter read several 1.5v
batteries as 1.8-1.9 volts,far out of spec(1%,+/- 2 counts).I returned
it,no questions asked,and the 2nd meter reads properly.

It is not a serviceable meter,either.It's chip-on-board construction,and
there were several solder splashes across tracks on the inside.
Strictly throwaway.

Well,whadda ya expect for 3 bucks... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

DO NOT use this cheap meter to read high voltage circuits. Cheap
meters can potentially blow up in your hand if you try high voltage.
I've had this happen.

One blew up in your hand? On what range/voltage?
How badly was your hand injured?

Get a good meter for anything more than
batteries. It is well worth the investment.

The manual says to not measure voltages above the range ratings.
RTFM.

What do you consider "high voltage"?

--
Jim Yanik