Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Difference between a single and double circ. breaker??

So the OP is not confused, you are describing Square D "QO" series, as the
OP may be referring to Square D "Homeline" series

"John McGaw" wrote in message
. ..
Dave wrote:
Hello,
In my electrical panel I have a double squeare D breaker with a black/red
wire running to a kitchen plug. When I check the voltage I get 110V at
the outlet. What is the difference between a single (slim) and a double
(wide) breakers. I thought the double ones gave 240V.

Thanks,
D.

Everything depends on what you mean by "double" breaker.

Square-D makes doubles which allow two circuits to be placed in the space
normally required for one. Their old ones had handles side-by-side while
the new ones have two very slim handles stacked one over the other. In any
case if you are talking about a breaker that is more-or less 1" thick then
it is a "110" volt breaker since it taps into a single phase of the mains
circuit. These are for regular outlets and lights and such.

The other "double" option is actually two stacked breakers designed so
that if one trips on an overload both will disconnect the power. These tap
into both phases of the mains circuit and thus provide "220" volt power to
electric stoves, air conditioners, and other heavy consumers. These
breakers are more-or-less 2" thick.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]