Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dan

Default Adjustiing/mod'ing digital thermostat on LG window air conditioner

Ken Weitzel wrote:
Hi Dan...

I suspect you and your wife might like a 5 or 10 watt
ceramic resistor with a half amp or so at 12 volts better than
a light bulb

A power resistor is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that!?!

However, I respectfully suggest that perhaps you and Eric are
asking more of a home cooling unit than it was designed for and
intended to do. Think perhaps you guys liking to sleep at
65 degrees F are in a real minority. Not to mention the
cost on your hydro bill

Hydro bill shmydro bill ;-) I don't doubt you're correct about our
preference for low temps. We open the bedroom windows in February!
Honestly though, I have met others who also like sleeping in the cold.
I have been able to attain the desired temps with other 8kbtu window
units in another bedroom in a climate with a much higher heat load
applied; hotter weather, higher humidity, less insulation, less shade,
etc. I think the unit is capable of what I want, the thermostat just
doesn't think so ;-)

My car has auto climate control. Switched to "US" mode, the
auto temp will drop degree by degree, until it suddenly jumps
to 50F. I'd assumed that meant that it would run virtually
forever, or until it reached 50 if ever. Not so, just tried
it. Something else shuts it down long before it gets that
cold.

Probably the same thing, the thermostat is killing the car's AC
compressor clutch before it gets to the indicated temp. I didn't really
expect the "degrees" indicated by the unit's digital readout to be all
that accurate, but if they have a scale going down to 60, I really do
think the damn thing ought to be capable of more than 69 when used in a
space of the size etc. indicated by the btu output.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW

Take care.

Ken