Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Sandpaper

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder what sandpaper other turners are finding "best". (Keeping in
mind that sanding on the lathe needs to be done at slower speeds so as
not to burnish the wood.)

Well, no. Burnishing comes from heat, which is a friction byproduct. Since
friction is a product of the coefficient of friction - independant of
speed - and the pressure applied, the best way to think of the sanding
problem is one of minimum pressure. Paper might not bite as deeply if you
don't press, but that helps you two ways, it doesn't cut deep scratches with
those few maximum sieve size pieces of grit, nor does it bring the backing
into full contact, which will heat, harden and burnish the surface, leaving
those scratches standing out against a shiny surface.

In sanding, if you're making shiny, stop, set up the fiber with water to
break the case hardening and sand fresh. It's dust you should see, not
shine.

I use Norton 3X a lot as it seems pretty versatile. (Available from
Home Depot)
Astradot from woodchuckers is the best with the rotational sander (It
has velcro backing) but it is expensive and I am not in Toronto so it
is not that convenient.

I'm a devotee of the Power-Loc system, personally. There's no velcro to be
concerned with, the resin on resin full coat gives you a lot of use, and if
you sand with lathe on and the sander supported, you can sand with virtually
no pressure. Too aggressive to use with the lathe off.

"SIASOFT" foam back pads are very durable but pricey too and I'm not
sure where to get them locally. (I got a small supply in Calgary from
Blackforest wood.)
I got some foam back sanding pads from Lee Valley but ended up sending
them all back as they just disintegrated on the lathe.
Busy Bee had some "machine sandpaper" in belts and circles a while back
as a packaged special and this was good but they do not seem to have it
anymore - I now regret not getting a lot more.

For Velcro-backed, it's tough to beat the green stuff, whose name escapes me
at the moment, but is available at Packard Woodworks in USA. The back is
thick enough to insulate your plastic hooks, and the loops stay firm to the
paper. Best to switch mandrels with it, as it can be a chore removing it
from the Velcro.