Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD

Default Musing about movers and shakers: quieting them with harmony

With out of round pieces I always start the lathe at zero and speed up
to the point where the lathe vibrates too much then turn it down till
it is possible to place the tool on the rest and hold it still.
And sometimes I mount the wood, lock it and carve off bits with a
chainsaw before ever starting the lathe. I guess that is not turning in
the strictest sense of the word....
JD

wrote:
Hi Dan

Come to think of it, I always seem to START at 0 rpm, it just ramps up
fast after that. GG :))

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dan Bollinger wrote:
The electronic speed control allows the turner to start at
zero RPM...

JD, I gotta stop by your shop someday and see you turning at zero rpm. Isn't
that called 'carving?' LOL!

Dan