Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Default Water Heater Gives Shock

ianjones wrote:
I used my voltmeter on the elements to confirm they are receiving power
and they are - I pressed the reset buttons and will report back.

BTW - I only receive a shock when I am not wearing shoes.

That's because shoes insulate you from the floor. Could it
be possible that a wire to either the upper or lower
thermostat could be contacting the case? It's a long shot.

Let's get serious about this:

Kill power and disconnect the two legs and ground at the
heater. Disconnect the wires at each electrode. Do you
read any resistance between either leg and ground or the
heater case? If all is open, connect up the upper thermostat
again. See if you have any grounding from that. Connect up
the upper thermostat. . . keep trying as you connect up the
lower things.

The thermostats in an electric heater only break one leg of
the 240v to switch elements on/off. The upper thermostat
has priority. If the upper calls for heat, the upper element
switches on. Only when the upper thermostat opens at
setpoint will the lower one be permitted to cut on, if needed.

Nonnymus