Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Default A/C filter too small...

wrote:

I just bought a new filter for my a/c and accidentally bought the wrong
size, it is too small, about 2 inches on either side. Would it cause
any problems if I went ahead and used it anyways? Which makes me wonder
now... what happens if there is no filter in place at all? Would it
damage the a/c over time?

Thanks!

It is kind of like smoking,... you won't have any problems
right away, but you will eventually have major problems down
the line. The coils in your unit will become clogged with
dust and grime and your air flow will be significantly
reduced. Your unit will begin freezing up and will not cool
down your home. You will have to call in a HVAC repairman to
remove and clean your coils. This can cost a lot of money
compared to buying the right filter (or not using one at all).

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.