Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

Default Persistent roof leak

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

What the hell am I looking at? What is the plastic thing? Why is it
there? Why is water coming through nail holes, if the wood has new
asphalt
shingles and new flashing?

You are looking at a roof that is leaking. It sounds like a major
bummer. Also sound like crappy repairs (purple tarp!!) were done
before the house was sold. You may have an issue with the sellers in
such a case.

Probably we don't have an issue with the sellers after this long, but thanks
for confirming that I'm not crazy. I thought it looked like a hard plastic
tarp/temporary repair thingie, too.

OK, here goes. Your roof is leaking and something must be done
immediatly. When your roof deck and wall board is getting wet you have
an emergency situation.

Roof deck = the wood that the shingles are attached to, right?

Your wall board is easy to replace compared to
that roof deck that is getting soaked! It was hard to tell from your
post but it sounds like you put another layer of shingles over an old
layer.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The shingles are the same age as the roof -- 18 to
24 months old. So old shingles weren't put over new shingles, rather, the
shingles are new because the roof is new.

Best guess it that it is where the addition meets the
rest where the water is entering the other.

You got it. That's exactly where it's leaking.

snip advice to replace roof, if possible, but at the very least to get a
tarp over the leak asap

Thanks. I appreciate your advice.

Donna