Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default PEX... fittings really supposed to be that loose before crimping?

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:36:05 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Will the metal crimp ring really tighten this up or am I missing
something?

Yes. When you get the crimper, ensure you get the "go - no go" tool
to check crimps.

Typical Home Despot... They didn't have a clue what the "go - no go" gauge
was, even after I explained how it was used. The rental desk didn't have
any and there were none on the shelf to be purchased.

Unfortunately, HD rents the crimper for $9/day. Anyplace else wants
$25/day.

Good luck..

I'll need it!

I've done a few crimps, they look good and are solid. I'm sure that all
will be well.

I just finished repairing a large section of galvanized with PEX and yes the
thing is rather loose before you crimp it. It really holds a good amount of
pressue when its crimped, but using that tool is a gigantic pain in the ass,
especially when you're in awkward positions.

I'm not totally sure what good the go/no-go gauge is, but so far I pass the
tests. Seems like it the no-go gauge should be larger than the go guage,
maybe they're testing to make sure the crimp isn't too tight?