Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Treating a well

wrote:
Our water has developed a bad smell. We contacted a well company and
they said that we need the well clorinated and acid treated. It will
cost about $700 (only $150 to just clorinate it). I'm wondering is this
what I really need. The well is a 4"well, 175 feet deep, & 30 years
old. It is the original pump. Would I be better off replacing the pump
and screen rather than having it acid treated? Any idea what replacing
the pump would cost?

No idea.

Some suggestions follow

Chlorine will deal with biological contamination, and most new wells in
most areas of the country now require chlorination when the drilling
permit is issued. It is a continuing process so the chlorine supply
must be topped off every few months (granular but not the swimming pool
kind) The acid wash kills any bacteria inside the pump.

However, the bad smell COULD be from Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten eggs
smell), and this also makes the water taste bad. Acid wash will not
help this problem as it is in your water source.

Water softeners with a KDF media filter added on will block hydrogen
sulfide, lead, iron and more, stuff that a traditional water softener
does not offer.

The new Fleck 5600 series softeners offer this as an option for an
additonal $175 on top of the price of a new system. Prices start near
$500 for the smallest units.