Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Granite Tile install

Lets just imagine for a moment that we are constructing a 3500 sq ft
living space home and the floors will be natural stone throughout.
Granite in some areas, travertine in others, marble in a few spots.
Budget is not a concern here

One of the installation hints I have seen elsewhere is to have a slip
surface between the tile and a concrete slab or wooden floor joists.

The main living room is 20x30ft. In this I intend to construct a home
theatre. One useful tool in this effort appears to be Acoustiblok.
Applied behind sheetrock, and lining enclosures where speakers go it
TIGHTENS up a room considerably, giving far more PUNCH to the soundtrack
while reducing bleed through to the rest of the house, cutting apparent
sound level elsewhere by 10 db or more (50% apparent reduction)

It seems to me that this stuff could go under the tile, creating the
slip layer that will allow the tile and the subfloor to expand and
contract at different rates without creating undue stress in the tile
(cracking it)

At about $2 sq ft plus installation, it aint cheap!!!