Posted to rec.woodworking
donald girod

Default waterborne polyurethane

dadiOH wrote:
John B wrote:
donald girod wrote:
Waterborne poly seems to have some advantages which are not generally
mentioned. In fact, I think it is sort of strange stuff. I don't
particularly care for its water resistance or polishability, but
what I have been doing is to put three coats or so on natural wood,
sanding between coats, and then top it off with one or two coats of
oilbase poly . This gives me something I can rub out, and has extra
water resistance and better luster, and I like the results.

The waterbase stuff dries fast, sands easily, and it doesn't seem to
make any difference if you even wipe off sanding dust, though I
usually do. It seems to redissolve particles of the sanded film.
Since I am not worried about using it for a finish coat, even the
occasional sag doesn't matter, it just sands away cleanly. AND, I
have discovered that it will dissolve (actually sort of wash away if
you rub a bit) yellow glue that didn't quite get sanded off. The
solvents in waterbase must be fierce. They eat away at plastic wood,
for instance, and this must also explain the yellow glue feature.

I think that this material is a truly lazy-friendly product. Have
others noticed these things? It could be brand-specific, I have
really only used Parks "Pro Finisher".

G'day Donald,
I have noticed that the water based poly does remove PVA and tend to
soften plastic putty. Perhaps they all have a similar solvent thus
allowing a re-activation of the former.

Yeah, they do...water.

Actually, I think it's the polyglycol ethers in the stuff, whatever the
hell they are. It sure isn't the water, because water does not wash
away yellow glue stains, and we hope that water doesn't dissolve the dry
poly film. But the stuff I use (Pro Finisher) definitely bites into
undercoats of itself.