Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do you make a Power Cord Spring?

In article om,
Brad wrote:
I posted this in another group and was asked to move it here... The
saw is a Sears Craftsman Computerized Radial Arm Saw model: 118198610

I am replacing the power cord on a Radial Arm Saw and unfortuately, the

manufacturer does not just supply the cord but you have to buy the cord

with the motor. The power cord is coiled (like a spring) so as the saw

moves across the arm, the cord is stretched and as it moves back, the
cord contracts into a tight spring and stays out of the way. I plan on

getting an extension cord to replace the bad one, but the question is:
How do you make a straight cord to contain a permanent coil?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know how they make it, but I've seen this type of cord used in
various industrial and commercial applications; Electrically operated
overhead doors with safety bumper shut off switches on the bottom edge
come to mind. Without checking, I'd be willing to bet it's available
from the usual suspects, Grainger, MSC, etc.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland