Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default Delta Mortiser

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:29:44 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Manufacturers have forgotten that they built their reputations on the
what today is the small part of the market.

We are just now beginning to really experience the downside/pain of that
lack of understanding/foresight in the woodworking tool market, but we've
been feeling it longer in other areas.

An excellent example is highly visible in the Oil and Gas business today.
There is one thing that you MUST do in order to survive as a viable energy
company ... you MUST replace your reserves ... NO exceptions ... otherwise
you die!

In the past twenty five years management and the virulent crop of MBA's have
succeeded in elevating their own positions, while firing all the experienced
scientist and technicians capable of performing that one function absolutely
necessary for survival ... to the point that they must now rely on
acquisitions to replace reserves.

Shortsighted stupidity is putting it mildly ... the shame of it is that, as
a result, we are going to suffer mightily as a nation and people.

When Rome got to the point where it was so corrupt and so bone idle as
to outsource even the military, the empire was marked for death.

The entity that had the best inventors and mechanics of that age
elevated the concept of the person to the degree that only management
was worthy of a Roman.

An MBA may not admire the distinction between a Roman Legion and a
Germanic Legion with Roman officers, but History has told the result
of that misunderstanding.

If we allow ourselves to be directed by our governors to create a
world where real strategic goods are no longer produced within our
boundaries, we will suffer the results of the sin of those who ignore
the lessons of History.

In a previous war we were not better than our competitors in a
tactical sense, but we had the strategic resources to outmanufacture
them.

A Panzer Tank may be better than a Sherman - but a Panzer Tank can
never be better than twenty Shermans.

When we went to Midway we risked our entire fleet, but we replaced
that fleet by one and one half times over the course of the next year
and a half.

The History of America in modern warfare is written in our ability to
outmanufacture anyone on earth.

And we are giving that away.

We need to make things in order to survive.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/