Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about movers and shakers: quieting them with harmony

Thanks to Leo we now know of someone with personal experience with this
approach to vibration. I've invited John to discuss what he has learned
_using_ his device and to offer any advice and further discussion he
wishes, including general woodturning topics. Maybe Leo can use his
charm to persuade a fellow Canadian Immigrant. I know he would be a
welcome and appreciated addition to rcw.

Thanks Mark, for suggesting another way to look at the problem. I had
dimly seen an analogy to resistance in a resonant LC circuit, but hadn't
thought of a damped spring mass system. My knowledge re the physics of
damped spring mass systems (or any other) is too limited to follow up on
this classic physics example. I hope you will explain a bit more. What
are the actual physical characteristics of our lathe's annoying &
dangerous vibrations. I know mine shakes and that's about all I really
understand. except as with the wood drying problem, I think there must
be different ways to skin a cat. (sorry Ecnerwal)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter