Ben

Default Can I use my drill press as a mill?

I just bought a 15" Ridgid drill press at home despot because when i
extended the ram and tried to rip it off the press :-) i got NO slop.
none. i have never seen spindle bearings so tight. except in my 8x14.
The spindle ends in a jt3 arbor. i tried to put my keyless mt3 chuck
on it but it wouldn't fit. i thought i was going nuts when i realized
it was a jt3 which i vaguely remembered hearing about.
its rated at 1/2 horse, but i really think its at leat 2 horse. it
really really draws a hell of a lot of power. either capacitor run or
start, i'm not sure.
it listed for 300, but was mispriced at 249.00.
i'm a happy camper.
total weight is 152 lbs fwiw.

also,fyi
there was a guy on tv who built a 6" tall bridgeport, fully
functional.
little dials, teeny hand wound motor. under a camera, in action, you
couldnt tell the difference.