Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Gas Experts Required - Is Supply Pipe Size OK?

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:02:31 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:18:36 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

It is standard practice to have the boiler gas supply dedicated to the
boiler only and no tee offs.

What 'standard' is that, then?

De-facto standard. I know no one who know his stuff not to have a dedicated
gas supply directly back to the meter. Many of the old area Gas Boards
would not have it any other way. Now the privateers are in charge anything
goes.

What a load of old nonsense.

Liberation of the gas industry from government control was in 1986.

The requirement for high capacity gas supplies to individual appliances is
largely a phenomenon of the combi era, and combis had nothing like the market
share then that they have today.

In the UK the current standard is BS6891:2005 "Installation of low
pressure gas pipework ... in domestic premises". Appendix A of this
standards document explicitly shows how to size pipe to supply multiple
appliances _with_ tee offs.

Read what I wrote and take note. If you want no problems at all have a
dedicated supply.

Clearly you know better than the industry professionals and standards
bodies....