Posted to alt.home.repair
gerry

Default Tips for pigtailing / wirenutting outlets with 12AWG wire

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:49:20 GMT, "Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT"
wrote:

gerry wrote:
On 1 Jun 2006 13:20:11 -0700, "
wrote:
Why would a vendor even manufacture and pay to get a green nut listed if
there was an "easy way out"?

Greenies are a labor saving device rather than an answer to any real
code requirement. By leaving the source circuits EGC longer than the
others and splicing the longer one to the other EGCs with a greenie the
labor used in making up jumpers is saved. The reason those wire nuts are
listed for EGCs is that they are not suitable for splices in current
carrying conductors and the separate listing makes that clear.

I never found them labor saving and certainly not cost savings. If you
strip one cable long enough for a pigtail, it is as easy to cut it and
tuck it under a regular wire nut than carry yet another wire nut type
around.

You will never find a green colored connector listed for current
carrying use Green has a very special meaning.

Since a safety ground must be rated to carry a branch circuits full
current and as reliable as any current carrying device, it certainly is
not an inherent limitation of the device.

In jurisdictions I am familiar with that require them or crimped
grounds, the grounds must be bonded and pushed to the back of the box
with a freely accessible pigtail(s) at rough in inspection. This is an
attempt to insure the circuit's ground safety is not compromised at a
later time.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com