George E. Cawthon

Default handy motor wiring size chart

Yes, his doesn't give amps. It gives wire size and feet for
various motors sizes. It says a 1/4 hp 115V needs 14 gage
for 25 feet, 10 gage for 50 feet, and 8 gage for 100 feet.
15 amp circuits are often 100 feet long and certainly more
than 50 feet and use 14 gage wire.

It says a 1 hp needs 10 gage for 25 feet and 6 gage for 50
feet. My old Craftsman saw with a Sears 1 hp 12.2 amps
motor is built on a movable base that has a 25 foot 16 gage
wire extension wire. Currently, it is plugged into an outlet
that is at least 25 feet from the panel (and probably 14
gage wire). My father used this saw extensively from the
1950's to late 1980s with this same cord and never had motor
problems.

One curiosity. He apparently got the extension cord from
Sears at the same time that he got the saw as the cord is
marked 16/2 300V Motor Cord.

Bob Swinney wrote:

George, Are you sure you're reading it right?. I haven't connected to
Grant's web site to look at the chart - however *my* chart says a 1/4 hp
motor draws 5.8 amps fully loaded, on a 115 v circuit.

Bob Swinney
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
It's pretty conservative. By this chart a 1/4 hp motor
couldn't be run on the common 15A circuit. And it is
certainly more conservative than other data I have on wire
size, length, and acceptable voltage drop. Perhaps, it is
intended for direct wired motors that are heavy duty and
continuous use.

Grant Erwin wrote:

I am working with a fractional hp motor which has a handy chart in its
install paperwork. I put it on my Web site for general use. It shows

wire
sizing to use per horsepower per voltage per length of wire run. For

example,
a 2hp motor at 115V at 50 feet should be wired with 4 gauge wire. - GWE

http://www.tinyisland.com/MotorWireSizes.pdf