Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dadiOH

Default rust water, how to cure

Snydley wrote:
We live in rural western NY state and in this particular area the
well water is very rusty. We have a Culligan water softener, which
came with the house, I'm assuming it's doing it's job, but the water
is still very rusty. Is there a whole house filter of some sort that
I can add to the pipe coming in from the well that would trap this
rust before it gets through to the rest of the house? The water tasts
great, there is plenty of it, and it doesn't smell, which we're
thankful for, but this rust is all over the inside of the shower,
toilet etc. I'm afraid to think of what it's doing to the inside of
the pipes and the washing machine.What kind of equipment do I need to
fix this problem?

It depends on the type of iron in your water. It is possible that you are
getting particles of iron oxide (ferrous iron) from the casing or pipes
which could be removed by filtering.

However, it is more likely that you have ferric iron - it is dissolved in
the water and is colorless until it turns to ferrous iron upon exposure to
the air. There are systems similar to water softeners to remove ferric
iron...IIRC, they depend on potassium permanganate.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...