Posted to misc.consumers.house
Lady

Default Ended up buying my roomie's condo. Should I compensate buyer's agent?

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article PjEeg.10122$lN5.2976@trnddc04, Lady
wrote:
"sylvan butler" wrote in
message
ternal...
On Sat, 27 May 2006 19:27:41 GMT, Lady wrote:
You can ask anything you want - doesn't mean it will happen -- if I was
selling a condo without an agent and someone came in and made and offer
and
expected me to pay the fee I would not accept the offer -- if I wanted
pay a agent I would not have listed it as a for sale by owner!

Perhaps you would pay if you wanted to sell.

I still stand by my initial post -- there is a reason people sell as a For
Sale By Owner -- they do not want to pay commission -- if I put my place
on
the market as a for sale by owner and someone brings along their own agent
and the agent wants a fee -- then the person coming along can pay the
fee --- I would NOT pay the fee -- if I wanted to pay a fee I would have
put
the place on the market with an agent so I wouldn't be doing all the work
myself -- if I am doing all the work (showing the place, etc) then I am
NOT
paying someone else a fee!

This is why FSBOs usually end up selling for a lot less, if they sell at
all. The seller thinks he is going to save the commission. The buyers
think that the seller should share some of that savings. When you are
the listing agent (the owner) you are not doing "all the work". You are
doing about half the work (give or take depending on the strength of the
market). I know that producing a buyer seems like "no work" to you, the
owner, but brokers (you know, people actually in the business) feel that
the cooperating agent (the buyer's agent) is worth 50% or more of their
commission. If they thought they were doing "all the work" they would not
willingly part with such a percentage of their commission. It is more than
reasonable to pay the buyer's agent a fee. You are still saving money
because you don't have to pay a listing agent. To do otherwise is just
greedy and greedy people often get burned.

Dimitri

Maybe and Maybe not -- I think it all depends on the area where you are
selling and whether or not you are being greedy and have done your homework.
In my situation, I knew where I wanted to be and I knew what the asking
prices were (and what they had sold for) I actually saw 2 places the same
day (one listed with an agent and one a FSBO) both were in the same complex
and for the same $$. So, basically if both sold for the listed price the
FSBO "may" have walked away with more - but then again they may have walked
away with less -- depending what the balance (if any) on their mortgage was,
etc.

I think it all really depends on the personal situation. Personally, if I
were to sell now I think I would first try it on my own and see what
happens -- let's face it -- if you are selling a place for $300,000 place
and say the commission is even 5% which would be $15,000 for some people,
that $15,000 is a lot of extra money for a downpayment.

Is it worth the hassel of a FSBO? Maybe, maybe not -- I think it all
depends alot on the actual market in the area where the home is being sold.