Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default hardwood floor trim

"JD" wrote in message
news:VhMfg.132326$k%3.17397@dukeread12...
I have had several companies over to estimate installation of a hardwood
floor. One guy says he uses 3/4 quarter round. Another uses half inch
quarter round and another uses shoe molding. I think one reason the first
one uses 3/4 is that they don't have to be as precise with the cuts near
the wall. However, I have read that you need to leave a half inch space
where the wood adjoins the walls. So if someone uses shoe molding or 1/2
inch quarter round, couldn't the floor slip out from under the molding?
The smaller molding looks much better, but I don't want problems later. Any
thoughts?
Thanks in Advance
JD

I believe deferent woods have deferent expansion and contraction rates. I
would pull all the base board . Put new base in and then a shoe base. The
shoe base can vary the stuff I used was 1/2 " wide and 3/4 high with a half
inch round over. So with base and shoe molding you will have a minimum of
one inch of material to hide flooring edge. What the shoe molding dose
eliminates the need to scribe the base in. when I was a apprentice carpenter
1972 we would put base against the wall scribe to the floor and then plane
it to fit, you can imagine the time involved. the shoe base bends and
conforms to the floor irregularities.