Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about movers and shakers: quieting them with harmony

(Try this again), I just found this website, it has the article I was
referring to, something easily made if you have a need for it.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/antivibration.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote:
Arch wrote:
No, not about a balancing act to curb influential turners. I'm wondering
about harmonic balancing for my over stressed Nova 3000. The poor thing
is all shook up trying to rotate some heavy rough NIP logs. I've
lessened its agony as much as I can with low speed, a strong heavily
weighted bench, secure tail support, a well trimmed log and all the
usual therapies _including gentle cuts with a sharp spindle roughing
gouge. It continues to move and shake.

I know, I know, "give up and treat yourself to a Stubby, Arch", but what
about trying some harmonic balancing first? I mean a rod with an
adjustable weight. You don't hear much about it these days, but I hope
that if some of you have used or considered this way to quiet a
vibrating lathe you will answer some questions and offer suggestions
and/or opinions pro & con.

I thought of bolting a piece of 1" allthread to one of the holes for the
optional outboard toolrest and adding an adjustable barbell weight
between two bolts at the outboard end. Before I mess around with this,
is this contraption likely to work? If you think it might, where do I
attach this abortion? axial? Radial? Headstock? Bed? Bench? Length of
allthread? size of the weight?
How to tune it? Static? Dynamic? So many questions--so little ability.
I need help.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter