Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default What the heck is "Pennsylvania American Water" ???

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:04:11 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:45:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrotF:

"46erjoe" wrote in message
last week I get this
letter from "Pennsylvania American Water" asking if I want to
purchase their service which covers repairs to my water and sewer
lines for $12 a month should there be any problems.

Worth it? You tell me. In my house, it would have cost me $3600 in the
time I've lived in it. My total outlay for water and sewer problems in that
time is $0. Like any other service policy, it may or may not be good
depending if something actually happens. If my water main breaks it will
probably cost tme that much to have it replaced.

OK It's my water company silly. Don't they feel like they do good
work? When I bought my new car, a 100,000 mile warranty automatically
came with it. I didn't have to buy an add-on insurance package. My
electric service was installed by Pa Power and Light. If something
breaks, they come and fix it as long as it is not within the confines
of my house. In NY the gas company would come in and fix any
potentially dangerous problems in my house at no cost to me. I guess
Pa American Water doesn't believe in themselves... which of course if
true, DOES warrant me buying their offer. Hmmm. Whatever happened to
quality assurance? Enlighten me if my logic is flawed. Thanks.

What Edwin and the others said.

But even if they had done the work on the pipes to one's individual
home, their offer to sell a maintenance contract has nothing to do
with the quality of their work, or their own view of the quality of
the work.

They wouldn't consult with the men who installed the pipes, who might
know if the work was good or bad. That's a different department.

This is from the Make Money department, and they would offer a
maintenance contract on my teacups if they though I would buy it.