Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

Default Countertop help - suggestions needed

"Myrna" writes:

I have heard that Corain stains but have no experience with it. The
salespeople say if it stains you can scour it out because it's a solid
surface. But over time in areas where food is prepared, I imagine you
can scour so much until it has valleys in the surface.

Myrna

Dan Espen wrote:
"Autumn" writes:

We are planning on getting new countertops and are having a hard time
deciding between all the available materials - Formica, Corian, marble, etc.
Just wondering what you have and what you like or dislike about it? I don't
even know where to start in deciding. I like a Formica pattern a lot, but it
seems it is not as thick as it used to be and I was wondering about how well
it will wear. Open to any other suggestions.

One of the nice things about Corian is that you can get the counter
and sink as effectively one unit. They're glued together, but you can't
feel a seam.

Someone just posted that Corian stains. I can't imagine what you would use
to stain it. I think it's impervious to stains.

Someone mentioned nail polish. I suppose that might dissolve the Corian, but
to my mind, that's not a stain.

I can tell you that red wine and coffee left on overnight
do not stain Corian.

You clean the counter with those plastic scrub pads.
I don't think I could rub long enough to make any visible change
to the counter with one of those.