Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Countertop help - suggestions needed

Robert Gammon wrote:

All surfaces, EXCEPT Formica (i.e. the laminate surfaces) and Ceramics
will stain to some degree. Doesn't matter whether we talk about natural
stone products, quartz embedded products (Silestone, Zodiaq...) or
artificial surfaces (Corian)

I have stained Formica with hot blueberries. Perhaps there are some
other types that do better. I tested Silestone and was unable to stain
it.

All these surfaces will discolor if a hot pot is allowed to rest on them
for more than a very few seconds. The natural stone products may CRACK
due to thermal stress.

Discoloration from a hot pan is not a risk with Silestone & granite
although there may be certain granite sealers that may scorch. I was
able to leave a smoking hot cast iron skillet on a Silestone sample
with zero damage. I was also able to build a small fire with wood
matches on Silestone with zero damage as a result. Thermal shock is a
legimitate reason not to use non-metallic, heat resistant countertops
as if they are trivets.

I encourage people to get free samples from stores and test them for
themselves.

The MOST worry free surface is the laminates like Formica, however, they

I strongly disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. I will give
Formica credit for being more scratch resistant than Corian.