Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default What Wiring needed to connect phone handset lead to PC?

"Brian A" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:23:53 +0100, Jim wrote:

I want to record my my phone callsbut get poor results using a device on
the line socket.

So I want to use the handset lead. There are four connectors in the
socket on the main phone.

What signals are these wires carrying and what circuit do I need to get
an audio-out signal to record the phone call?

----------

Retell sell these connector devices below for £20 and £40 (cheaper at
Farnell). I would rather build one. But how?

Record connector for telephone handsets (ref 156)
http://snipurl.com/r7bf

PC to telephone play and record connector (ref 157)
http://tinyurl.com/qq9nq

I would guess that it is not legal to connect to the phone line if it
is a public one. However...
You could use something as simple as a capacitor, to each of the
signal lines, in series with a resistor, say 1M, and then connect to
your sound card. Alternatively, a transformer arrangement, to share
the signal from your handset, would provide isolation so would be a
safer. You might find something on the Maplin site.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I always used to use a telephone pickup coil. Just sticks onto the body of
the phone using a suction cup. Picks up from the hybrid transformer. I think
most modern phones still use a hybrid tx but it's much smaller than the
older style ones, so it may be necessary to move it around to find the
optimum pickup position. Be aware that strictly speaking, it is illegal to
record a telephone conversation without the knowledge of the calling party.
You can feed the output of one of these coils to either the phono (
turntable ) input of a hifi, or the mic input of a sound card. Maplin LB92A
is the part number if you're in the UK, or should give you an idea of what
you're looking for if not. www.maplin.co.uk

Arfa