Lennie the Lurker

Default First lathe: Grizzly, Lathemaster, or used Atlas?

"John" wrote in message news:CvMyb.379273$HS4.3125862@attbi_s01...

For what you state you wish to turn, no 9" lathe will be big enough.
The 9" lathes made now are all limited in low speeds, and while you
may do plastics without many problems, for steel, even the low speeds
on a 12" lathe could stand to be slower. I won't state for sure, but
I doubt that any of them you have mentioned will even swing 5" over
the cross slide. The Atlas, if a 12 inch will do it, even might
handle steel in low belt back gear at 5 inch diameter. You're gonna
have to think bigger.

I'm getting ready to acquire my first lathe. Basic requirements are to be
able to turn up to 5" diameter stock with a length of 12". For the most part
I'm turning plastics and PVC but I will use it for Aluminum and steel
turning too.

I've read some (many) postings from the group and I'm narrowing down my
choices to either the
* Grizzly G4000 9" x 19" Bench Lathe, or the
* LATHEMASTER 9 X 20 - Gear Drive Benchtop Lathe, or the
* LATHEMASTER 8 X 14 MINI LATHE, or a
* Used Atlas Lathe (available locally to me).

I would welcome whatever comments someone may want to offer.
BTW, I'm in the Boston Suburbs so if anyone wants to offer a lathe for sale
I'll be happy to listen.

Thanks in advance,

John
(I like hot food and scuba diving, though not
necessarily at the same time!)