Gunner

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:18:05 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

And don't discount the strength of the pro-gun cultural battle. The
strongest case for it, IMO, is an article written by a Washington lawyer
named Jeffrey Snyder. The article is titled "A Nation of Cowards." It's

all
over the web and it's very worth reading, IMO.

Then read an intelligent response to it by George Will, titled "A Nation

of
Cowards?" It, too, is on the web. I'd give you the URLs but I think

Gunner
has them set up as keyboard macros, and he'll beat me to it. g

Please *do* post the URLs. Gunner would post the whole web
page from each side, not just the URLs. :-)

Well, "A Nation of Cowards" will get you about a thousand hits and a
thousand transcripts of it g, but the link to Will's column at Geocities
has broken.

I don't know where to find it. Maybe Gunner does. I know it's been
distributed with Time magazine's approval, because I'm the one who got their
approval.

Ed Huntress

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Am...ll_cowards.htm
http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/4284

"Posted on Thursday, November 8, 2001 at 06:32 AM by spwenger

In a comment to an earlier posting of a link to George Will's
editorial on the meaning of the Second Amendment someone questioned
the statement that Geroge Will had not always held his current
"individual right" position. Here's a more specific statement from
Neal Knox's Firearms Coalition Alerts List mailing of November 6:

George Will's column this weekend, citing the Fifth Circuit's
"persuasive" Emerson decision that the Second Amendment is an
individual right, marks a near-complete turnaround for the usually
conservative pundit.

In 1992 he had enough faith that the Second Amendment meant something
that he wanted it repealed, but in 1994 Jeff Snyder's "Nation of
Cowards" essay began bringing him around. Looks like the 5th Circuit
finished the reversal.

He wrote this weekend that President Bush, by issuing alerts of
further terrorist attacks, and calling for greater public vigilance,
had in effect deputized the entire populace. "So this is an
appropriate time to revisit the most fundamental -- the philosophic --
reason why both the right and the fact of widespread gun ownership
reflect a healthy dimension of America's democratic culture."

Very good, George. "

From what I can gather searching the net. Mr. Wills has requested his
rebuttal be removed as he has changed his mind. I can only find one
reference to this however.

Gunner

"No man shall be debarred the use of arms.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm those only who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants.
They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes,
produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by
thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree."
- Thomas Jefferson