Woodspoiler

Default Tricky Heck!

I got an SDS recently too. One of the first jobs I did with it
was sink an electrical socket in the inner leaf of a cavity wall.
Using my old hammer drill, I would first pepper the area with
holes and then excavate with a bolster. I've got used to the look
and feel of this operation, so I no longer use a depth stop for
the drilling.

With the SDS, this was the first and only time I've so far used
it as a drill rather than as a chiseling tool. So I drilled my
hole as usual, and after a few moments all resistance
disappeared.

Oops - I'd drilled right through to the cavity, which is way, way
deeper than you need to go through plaster into breeze block. And
this was with a great big fat bit too.

W.