Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Brian A

Default What Wiring needed to connect phone handset lead to PC?

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:23:53 +0100, Jim wrote:

I want to record my my phone callsbut get poor results using a device on
the line socket.

So I want to use the handset lead. There are four connectors in the
socket on the main phone.

What signals are these wires carrying and what circuit do I need to get
an audio-out signal to record the phone call?

----------

Retell sell these connector devices below for £20 and £40 (cheaper at
Farnell). I would rather build one. But how?

Record connector for telephone handsets (ref 156)
http://snipurl.com/r7bf

PC to telephone play and record connector (ref 157)
http://tinyurl.com/qq9nq

I would guess that it is not legal to connect to the phone line if it
is a public one. However...
You could use something as simple as a capacitor, to each of the
signal lines, in series with a resistor, say 1M, and then connect to
your sound card. Alternatively, a transformer arrangement, to share
the signal from your handset, would provide isolation so would be a
safer. You might find something on the Maplin site.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.