Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Alcohol Soaking Wet Wood

At the risk of being thought a pompous ass, I'll suggest that arguments
similar to this have been going on since before Wally and I were born
and no doubt, will continue.

Theory vs observation: empiricism vs rationalism. blah! blah! blah!
Like a basketball game the lead changes and the 'scientific method' now
has the lead. Much of our 'real world' scientific knowledge is in fact
repetition of what we learned from our teachers and what they learned
from theirs. We didn't induce or deduce anything for ourselves, but we
sure hold on to our 'current truths' tightly.

What I am saying badly is that no matter how strong the scientific
evidence that alcohol soaking works or doesn't work, it will remain a
question. No matter how scientific or unscientific our personal position
is about drying wood, as in another emotionally charged situation we may
as well "relax and enjoy it".

I'm way OT to make a point: Newton was scientifically & universally
correct til it turned out that he wasn't. But his laws still work, for
most of us anyway. Everybody knew it was scientifically impossible for
a bacterium to cause a stomach ulcer ...until it did.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter