yourname

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:12:08 GMT, yourname wrote:

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/...562335,00.html

Obviously ignore the leftist editorialism, but a few facts in there

Yup..a few fact there, mostly wrong and misinterpret ted.

The two major factors in the decreasing homicide rates in the US was
the enactment of the Three Strikes Laws, and the number of states
which passed Shall Issue laws.

The third most important reason was mandatory sentencing and reduced
plea bargaining.

Gunner

First, you would have to compare 3 strike states vs non 3 strikes, not
what we were after . Second, you have shown no connection between shall
issue permits and lower murder rates. Third mandatory sentences usually
cause a rise in plea bargains, the state holding leverage to get the
accused to plead to a lesser offense.

That said, murder rates dropped because of demographics. There were
fewer babies born in around 76 to 82, so there were less 18-24 year olds
around 2000, since they do a large percentage of the crimes, their lack
cause a drop in crime. Neither right nor left can claim victory. Maybe
the Trojan company or whoever makes the pill.

What is relevant[to the argument anyway] is rates in one state vs
another. I still don't see any positive correlation between higher gun
ownership and lower murder rate, still mostly the opposite