Kent Fowler

Default LP tank valve removal UPDATE

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:42:03 -0600, David A. Webb
wrote:

Kent

Kent,

BLEVE... Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion

Do you see how this fails to apply to my situation?

I said I removed ALL of the liquid first, so there is no "BL"

Are you sure?

Second, The internal pressure of the tank was at atmospheric pressure.
So there is no "EVE".

And just because the tank was at atmospheric, there
was NO hydrocarbon vapor in it?

SO I am not at risk for BLEVE.

So you hope.

And before I would ask my local fire chief, I am reminded of the chief
my Dad worked for 20 years ago, who talked about how dangerous it was
to hydro-test their SCBA tanks. According to him, tanks were tested
under water to help contain an explosion if the tanks failed. Super
dangerous because under that pressure, if a tank burst, shrapnel would
kill everyone if it wasn't for the tank of water used to slow down the
explosion. Duh.

We are not talking hydrotesting, we are talking
putting heat to a vessel that has hydrocarbons in it

So, as far as I'm concerned, being a fire chief doesn't make a person
the final authority on risks of tank explosions.

Maybe not, but I gave you directions to the people
wrote the book on the subject. But I can see that
nothing is going to change your mind that what you
did is perfectly safe, so I can see I am wasting my
time. Maybe some one else reading this exchange
will learn a little from it

Regards, Kent

Dave