Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Washing machine drain

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:13:23 +0100 someone who may be "Christian
McArdle" wrote this:-

My understanding is that the pipe rises vertically at the end, rather than
dropping.

It isn't clear whether the plan is to install a pipe that rises at
the end, or it already does. If it is just a plan then a vertical
rise at the end certainly does not comply with the Saniflo
instructions and thus would undoubtedly invalidate the warranty.

However, I was thinking of changing the pipe design so that at the
end it dropped onto the stack far enough away from the toilet
connection.

Of course with a Saniflo it might well be easier and better to go up
from the first floor cupboard and through the loft (assuming a two
storey house) to the stack. This would avoid a lot of difficult work
under the floor and could all be done in 22mm pipe, assuming the
length is suitable. It would probably be a matter of pulling a few
bends in copper pipe and clipping it to suitable places. The stack
connection would also be much easier. I would bond the pipe and it
certainly should be insulated in the loft. Costing labour and
disruption against the cost of the unit this might even be cheaper
considered in the round. From memory only the Saniflo itself cannot
pump vertically, the others in the range can pump up to something
like 3m. I can't be bothered to look at the web site to check.

If it dropped, then it would probably be possible to design a
gravity system.

Indeed.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh